AHC Executive Director
The Arkansas Humanities Council (AHC) in Little Rock, Arkansas, seeks applications for the position of Executive Director (ED).
Description of General Management Responsibilities
- Supervise all personnel, including hiring, evaluating, promoting, terminating, recommending professional development, maintaining civility and morale, and modeling effective performance, as per AHC personnel policies.
- Draft annual budget with AHC Fiscal Officer for approval by AHC Board.
- Submit financial reports to the AHC Board on regular basis.
- Maintain clear understanding of current and future financial resources necessary for realizing mission of the AHC.
- Ensure that a clear and accurate accounting system is maintained, allowing the Board to monitor the organization’s finances and operations in relation to the approved budget.
- Work with the Board of Directors regarding operations, grant awards, program activities, recommended improvements, or the introduction of new initiatives per AHC’s strategic plan.
- Assist in the recruitment of and outreach to prospective candidates for AHC Board membership, as per the AHC bylaws and guidelines.
- Maintain close communication with the National Endowment for the Humanities Office of Federal/State Partnership, complying with all deadlines for program reports and adhering to annual NEH Compliance Plan, periodic reviews, and evaluation.
- Maintain and promote a clear and articulate vision of the value of the public humanities on the local, state, and national level.
- Oversee all communications prior to dissemination, including writing, editing, and approving all information about the AHC and its activities, including newsletter, brochures, promotional materials, press releases, video communications, and electronic communication.
- Navigate multimedia (print, verbal, email, electronic, social media, etc.) and demonstrate strong technical skills to present AHC’s work and message in a variety of technological formats.
- Serve as the point person for all communications with the media.
Advocacy and Congressional Communications Responsibilities
- Maintain communication and build relationships with Arkansas’s Congressional delegation and keep board informed of new developments regarding funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Maintain close communications with the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Federation of State Humanities Councils.
- Plan agenda and materials for annual Humanities on the Hill visits to Arkansas’s Congressional delegation.
- Determine program priorities and audience outreach as per Board strategic plan.
- Direct the grant-making programs.
- Keep the Board informed about budgets, costs, and other general data regarding ongoing programs.
- Maintain communications with current and potential program sponsors, partners, and funders.
- Negotiate contracts with major presenters.
- Promote AHC as a program partner and as a grant-making organization for individuals, agencies, organizations, for promising humanities projects and programs statewide.
- Oversee outreach to potential program funders, including drafting proposals to corporate partners and foundations for program support and endowment growth.
- Cultivate new donors through a variety of outreach efforts.
- Maintain communications with individual donors.
- Work in concert with Board members and staff in the recruitment of potential new donors.
- Diversify the AHC’s funding streams in addition to the primary NEH grant.
Strategic Planning Responsibilities
- Lead the Board in the long-range or strategic plan and keep board informed about objectives and progress on the plan over time, fine-tuning or redrafting plan as needed.
- Draft NEH Self-Assessment of the Council every five years.
- Write interim and final reports for all NEH funded programs.
Leadership and Governance Responsibilities
- Uphold the by-laws and policies of the AHC.
- Engage the Board and provide direction and enthusiasm for the organization’s work.
- Foster a collegial work environment and provide opportunity for professional development for the staff.
- Communicate regularly with the chair, executive committee, and board members.
Salary range: $75,000-85,000. Excellent benefits package.
To Apply for the Executive Director Position
Individuals must submit a cover letter and resume (including the contact information for three professional references) as pdf attachments via email to AHCExecutiveDirSearch@gmail.com. Please indicate “Executive Director Application” in the subject header. Questions about the position should be sent to the same email address.
Application deadline: December 31, 2017